nfs is driving me crazy...

I could use some help from someone knowledgeable re: nfs.

I have been using nfs for some time now, probably at least two years. My
fileserver contains all user's files in /home, and /home is exported by
nfs. This directory is mounted to /nfs on my workstation, and serves as
my home directory on the workstation because /home/nl is a symlink to
/nfs/nl.

Similarly, I have a directory on the server called /shared, and this is
also exported by nfs and mounted to /shared on the workstation.

I was in the process of upgrading the workstation, which I did by
putting in a new HD, partitioning, and copying (via tar) all data from
the corresponding partitions on the old (smaller) hd. I then removed the
old hd, swapped the new one in as primary, and rebooted.

The problem was that I was unable to connect up to the nfs shares.
Despite a great deal of hacking around with this tonight, including
apt-get --purge remove'ing nfs-kernel-server nfs-common and reinstalling
on the server (just in case), I couldn't get mounting the nfs shares
from the workstation to happen. Finally, I rebooted both machines, and
the /home export mounts, but the /shared one will not. I've been playing
around with it for a while and I am just plain stuck.

For reference, both systems run testing. However, it's been a long time
since I did an apt-get dist-upgrade on the server (for obvious reasons),
while I do the dist-upgrade regularly on the workstation. I cannot see
how this would matter, though, and in any case apt-get -u dist-upgrade
on the server shows all the packages that would be upgraded and added
and there doesn't seem to be anything relevant to nfs in there.

WHen I try (on workstation):
mount -t nfs -o rw,hard,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 nfs:/shared /shared
(NOTE: nfs is assigned to the server) I get:
"mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused"

Now, here's the output of showmount -a nfs issued from the workstation:
rpc mount dump: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused"

and from rpcinfo -p nfs issued on the server:
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100009    1   udp    804  yppasswdd
    100004    2   udp    802  ypserv
    100004    1   udp    802  ypserv
    100004    2   tcp    806  ypserv
    100004    1   tcp    806  ypserv
 600100069    1   udp    807
 600100069    1   tcp    809
    100007    2   udp    814  ypbind
    100007    1   udp    814  ypbind
    100007    2   tcp    817  ypbind
    100007    1   tcp    817  ypbind
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100021    1   udp  32770  nlockmgr
    100021    3   udp  32770  nlockmgr
    100021    4   udp  32770  nlockmgr
    100005    1   udp    868  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    871  mountd
    100005    2   udp    868  mountd
    100005    2   tcp    871  mountd
    100024    1   udp    891  status
    100024    1   tcp    894  status
So at least the portmapper seems to be working.

Because rpcinfo seems to work, I assume the port-mapper is working ok,
and based on these error messages it seems that rpc.mountd on the server
is refusing connections, but I don't know how to go further or figure
this out any further. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated, as
I am STUCK.

Oh, yeah, I should also mention that both hosts.allow and hosts.deny on
the server contain onlycomments, so if I understand tcpwrappers
correctly (which I understand remote mounting to use) emtpy hosts.allow
and hosts.deny should result in everything being accepted, so that
shouldn't be the problem.

Thanks to any help or suggestions on what to look at further.
nl