Re: where is netscape 4 in testing?

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 09:39:59PM +0200, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>  --- Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> escribi?:
> > They can always run lynx or dillo :)
>
> Not if they want frames and SSL (at least as far lynx goes, I don't
> know about dillo).

Try w3m, which does both. (Hit shift-F to render frames.)

> > It is impossible to maintain. Only netscape the company has the source
> > and can fix actual problems with the program. If they give up on the
> > program it's dead. This is one of the problems with proprietary
> > software.
>
> I can see that, but I was under the impression that Netscape Communications
> actually released all the source code under the NPL.  Is this wrong?  Did they
> only release part of it?

As I understand it, which may be wrong, they released a broken pile of
code which was somewhere halfway between Netscape 4 and what would have
been Netscape 5: basically just their current development tree. That's
one of the reasons why it took Mozilla so long to get going. I don't
believe that the source for Netscape 4 itself was ever released.