Re: Wheel mouse with mutt

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 03:37:43PM -0500, Michael D Schleif wrote:
} Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> [2003:09:07:10:54:06-0700] scribed:
} > On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 06:26:05PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
} > >    mutt.vt100.translations:  #override \n\
} > >             None<Btn4Down>:  string(<<) \n\
} > >             None<Btn5Down>:  string(>>) \n
} >
} > Well, that's not going to work.  Mutt is a console-mode application, and
} > doesn't participate in the X resource database.  What you want to do is
} > direct resource changes to the xterm you're running it in.

AFAIK, I'm the one who came up with this X resource hack in the first
place. It works, but not because mutt pays any attention to it. It only
works in a genuine xterm, however, which has been started with -n mutt or
-T mutt (which is what makes it pick up resources for mutt.vt100).

} Actually, it *does* work -- for a time -- as I have indicated; or, at
} least this does for me:
}
}    mutt.vt100.translations:   #override \
}             None<Btn4Down>:   string(<<) \n\
}             None<Btn5Down>:   string(>>) \n
}
} However, it does not last more than a couple hours, after which it is
} entirely useless.

Check to see whether you are always using an xterm invoked with the title
and/or icon set to mutt. It won't pick up the resources otherwise. If you
really find that such an xterm still doesn't work, see whether appres mutt
gives you the expected resources. If not, something is changing your
resources behind your back and you should find out what.

} Please, review intertwined comments below:
}
} > Take a look at the attached... perhaps it does what you want.
}
} What I really, really want to do with the mouse is to use the scroll
} wheel to _slowly_ page up and page down -- one line at a time -- in the
} pager while reading _l-l-l-o-o-o-n-n-n-g-g-g_ messages.  Your suggestion
} does *not* do that for me . . .

If you want single lines, instead of two lines at a time, change << and >>
to < and >, respectively.

[...]
} Best Regards,
} mds