advice on using FVWM with Gnome 2.2 backport on woody

Does anyone have any advice for using FVWM with Gnome 2.2 (on woody)?

The initial problem I'm having is that something in Gnome, apparently
the file manager, is creating a full-screen windows named Desktop;
when I lower some other window, it disappears because it gets lowered
to behind the Desktop window.

Do I want to configure FVWM so the Desktop window is in a lower layer,
or is there a more general solution?  Are there more things I want
to fix?

Thanks,
Daniel
--