Re: DVD recording software?

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 01:33:20PM +0200, Joan Tur wrote:
> I've purchased a DVD-RW recorder... and I'd like to use it under linux...
> What software could I us?  I've googled with no luck  8-?

Can't imagine you actually bothered to Google at all, but whatever...

There are at least two reasonable choices, and one not so reasonable.

Personally, I use cdrecord-ProDVD.  It's non-free, but
free-for-noncommercial-use.  Decide for yourself if your religious beliefs
allow you to use it or not.  Advantages are that it works just like
cdrecord (obviously), and with a little shell scripting, is a drop-in
replacement to most of the front-ends out there.  Disadvantages are that
you have to have a code, which expires occasionally, and that the more
rabid OSS lemmings will crucify you for daring to use it, as opposed to
allowing you to make the choice for yourself that they claim for
themselves.

Available from the cdrecord home page.

Secondly, you could use dvd+rw-tools, which despite the name (and I'm sure
some idiot will still miss this, and try to tell me I'm wrong) can write to
both +R/RW and -R/RW media just fine.  The main tool is called 'growisofs',
and it uses mkisofs to actually create the filesystem to be written to the
disc.

Third, and non-optimal, is to use dvdrecord, which is a
sorta-fork-sorta-hack of an early version of cdrecord, while Joerg
Schilling was still including DVD support in the base cdrecord package.  It
supports a limited subset of drives.

Now, if what you're ACTUALLY trying to do is author a DVD-Video disc, the
two processes are separate.  You create a filesystem, and then you write
that filesystem to a disc, with one of these tools.

--
 Marc Wilson |     BOFH excuse #395: Redundant ACLs.
 msw@cox.net |