Xinerama + triplehead + y = FREEZE; y = ?

I've got a system with three video cards (all ATIs) running
Xinerama, and there are a number of applications which will
completely freeze X such that I must do an Alt-SysRq-k to kill
all processes on the current virtual terminal in order to return
control of the system to me.

One such application is 'psi' which depends on libqt3, among
others. I'm also unable to run most Gnome2 applications, as I
recall.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to troubleshoot this.  I'm not
entirely sure where the problem resides, nor am I fully confident
in my abilities with respect to X configuration.

Is there a way to make X exit a little more cleanly in situations
like this, or is there a way for me find out what's going on
"behind the scenes" so that I can see what failed?

Full disclosure: it's possible that the issue may be related to
my running the system at 'testing' for a while and then going
back to 'stable' sources.  For example, X is version 4.2.1-3
instead of the 4.1.0-16 from Woody.

The three cards are:
    1. PCI ATI All-in-Wonder
    2. AGP ATI Radeon
    3. PCI ATI Xpert@Work

Here's what it all looks like physically:

    http://www.whatever.ca/gallery/whatever/f1000036_cropped

And here's what a typical desktop screenshot looks like:

    http://www.whatever.ca/gallery/whatever/2002_08_11_001159_shot

Here's my XFree86Config-4 file:

    http://www.whatever.ca/misc/XF86Config-4

And finally, my most recent XFree86.0.log file:

    http://www.whatever.ca/misc/XFree86.0.log

--

Shaun Crossley
mailto:shaun@whatever.ca