Re: dhcp/ethernet question

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 09:11:47AM -0700, Alice Pinard wrote:
> hi, I'm trying to set up a firewall to connect to my cable modem ISP
> (comcast) using DHCP
> I am getting a 'weirdness' and I'm not sure if it's on the DHCP end or the
> ethernet end.
>
> Basically if I do an ifconfig the ethernet card is entirely missing the
> line that would begin with inet addr. It's not blank, it's not there with
> a 0.0.0.0 address, it's just not there.
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:97:E9:92
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:1298 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:1298
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:443916 (433.5 KiB)
>           Interrupt:10 Base address:0xff00

It's correct to assume you have a dhcp client installed (mine is dhcp3)?

What messages can you find in /var/log/syslog when you bring up the
interface?  Is there a call out by the client?

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,