keymap

> When I try to reconfigure the broken keymap by
> install-keymap /usr/share/..
> I get:
>
> Warning: cannot access console;
>  deferring until console is accessible.

Same thing happens to me in my Knoppix hard disk installation:

I had the spanish map working fine, then one day after an apt-get
update, the text console reverts to a US keymap and refuses to go back
to what it was. X still goes fine fortunately, even consoles in X (Gnome
or KDE).

Tried to downgrade "console-data", but I get the warning quoted above
when postinst runs. Tried running "dpkg-reconfigure console-data" and
"install-keymap es" from the command line in text mode and X consoles,
but I get the same warning.

What can it be?

Thanks for your help,

Nacho de los Ríos.