Verizon DSL success?

Has anyone had success getting Verizon DSL to work? I did the setup in Windows
:( and then rebooted to try w/ Linux. I am running Woody, pppoe, and I ran
through the pppoeconf setup. I looked at the connect session with ethereal,
and am getting (in this order):
PADI
PADO
PADR
PADS
PPP LCP configuration requests and acks (PAP negotiated)
numerous attempts to send username and password
PPP LCP Termination request (due to failure to authenticate)
PPP LCP Termination Ack
PADT
PADT

I have read through all of the READMEs and HOWTOs, and it looks like I have
everything set up right. Any suggestions before I go out and by a Linksys
router that can handle the pppoe connection for me?

I am not currently subscribed to the list, so please cc me on replies. Thanks.

Michael