Xserver

Hi I am new to debian, but have used those big commercial distros.
I installed 3.0 but am not having any luck getting X to start. I reinstalled several
times taking a lot of time checking the packages. But login just leaves me at the
command line. I type startx  and get this response: Build Operating system: linux
2.4.17i686 (ELF) module loader present (==) log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log",
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
(EE) Error from xf86Handle Config File ()
Fatal Server error
no screens found

XIO: Fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer)
on X server
"0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0
events remaining.

This is happening on a athlon (900mhz) homebuilt. I haven't had any display/X server
problems with SuSe or Mandrake.
Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks Oh I just remembered the command line message says to
get system message from /var/log/XFree86.0.log  but I looked and that file doesn't exsist.

***Protect your PC from local E-Mail Application security holes***
***Maintain your Privacy - MS Passport Free***
***Anti SPAM "Whitelist" feature***

http://www.x-mail.net Web Based E-Mail, accessible anywhere

Voice Messages, VoIP, Video Conferencing, Live Chat,
X-Mail Messenger, Personal Web Hosting, 128 bit SSL Secure,
Calendar, Bookmarks, Forwarding, Virtual Mail Map Aliasing

X-Mail Premium: 20MB Messages, 100MB Storage, POP3, Ad Free
Anonymous Web Surfing http://www.snoopblocker.com
Search http://www.teradex.com