Re: gdm/desktop password protected shutdown

Jacob Anawalt wrote:

I am using Debian Sid and I would like to enable graphical shutdown/reboot/halt of my system using either a menu item in my desktop (KDE/Gnome) or in the display manager (gdm). I don't want to enable it for everyone, just for people who know the root password, or even nicer, accounts that are sudo enabled for the shutdown command.

[snip]

It is interesting that when I choose 'configure' from the system menu I am prompted for the root password. Is there a configuration setting I have overlooked to make it do the same root password prompt for other system menu items?

[snip]

Well shut my mouth...

Either this is now standard with the latest update for gdm on Sid, or the feature (prompting for the root password on shutdown/reboot/halt) is enabled only on the standard greeter.

The graphical isn't working on my system at the moment due to a bug that I'll wait out instead of backing off the library so I don't know if the new graphical greeter does it.

I am still interested in hearing about pros/cons of having the shutdown run from within the desktop environment and about sudo implementations.

Jacob