CUPS alt.

Hi,

I don't know about the HL1440, but Turboprint drives the HL1270N, HL1450, and
the HL1470.
Regards,

David.

/quote:Hello,

after minor difficulties I've gotten cups to work on my decrepit
laptop, using a brother hl-1440 laserprinter (the printer interprets
PostScript on its own, though I think it doesn't use the Adobe
interpreters).  Right now it seems to be working well (though for a
while it was printing strangely at unpredictable intervals, and I keep
worrying it will resume its ugly old habits).

But I only have 96 megs of ram, and cups seems unnecessarily lrge,
given that I don't want to act assa printserver or anything.  I DO,
however, want to print pretty documents from OpenOffice & one or two
other programs (possibly sometimes gimp).

Are there any workable alternatives to CUPS?  Any alternatives that
folks actually RECOMMEND using?  It would be great to run a somewhat
leaner print system...

thanks again,
matt/unquote.