Re: Installing Debian on IBM Thinkpad X24

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> So I got myself one of these nifty things.  It's really nice but it won't
> be perfect until I can get Debian on it.

Thanks to all those who replied.  I now have the thinkpad dual-booting
between Win2K (though I don't imagine much use for it.) and Debian.

Hooking up a CD or floppy drive I'd already rejected as it would have been
too boring and cost extra money.

The suggestion to use a USB keychain drive was a good one.  I definitely
want to get one of these to store my GPG key and other sensitive data on
but I'll do that later some time.

I decided to go with Installing via TFTP.  It is very straightforward
(though the documentation I found was as usual not 100% accurate.)  The
one hurdle I faced was shrinking the windows partition to make room for
Linux.  Luckily IBM uses FAT32 instead of NTFS so I was able to use GNU
parted.  The Debian boot floppies don't have parted (the new Installer I'm
told will.) so I had to actually start the installation process with Red
Hat 9.  After resizing and partitioning the drive I stopped that and
started the Debian install.  It went without a hitch.  Even installing
LILO on the MBR was uneventful which impressed me because I recall you had
to do some voodoo with boot sectors to get Windows and Linux to co-exist
in the past.  After installing a minimal woody system I dist-upgraded it
to sarge.  So far though the only things I haven't configured are the
wireless networking and the modem.  The first should be very easy but the
second could be a problem as it is a winmodem.  But neither is very
important to me right now.  Everything else configured without a hitch.

I'll write a full step-by-step HOWTO soon.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>