Re: CUPS alternative?

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:53:24 -0400
Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Are there any workable alternatives to CUPS?  Any alternatives that
> folks actually RECOMMEND using?  It would be great to run a somewhat
> leaner print system...

lpd or lprng are still the best solutions. They are modular, i.e., you
can have the functionality you wish without carrying around things you
don't need, they have decent documentation, not a repetitive prayer
like CUPS, and above all, they are transparent, i.e., they allow you
to trace down any strange situation to the very point where things are
breaking. This particular point can be extremely annoying if you first
have to set up a webserver to do CUPS configuration, as CUPS is so
authoritative to decide what you may know and see and what not. Once I
had a breve conversation with one of the gimpprint developers who
loves CUPS, but finally admited that there is nothing in CUPS you
can't also do with lpd. CUPS seems to be designed for former windows
users who need a graphical interface to set up a printcap file. For
anybody else, even with more than enough RAM I would always recommend
lpd or lprng. I use them with magicfilter, but apsfilter seems to do
an equally good job.

HTH

--
Christoph Simon