Re: OT: RAID Controllers

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 17:35, Jacob S. wrote:
> I'm still a little new to the RAID side of the world and the hardware
> howto doesn't have the information I'm looking for.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for good hardware RAID(5)
> controllers (mainly SCSI, but possibly IDE too) that are supported by
> Linux?

MegaRAID has always been good to Linux.  Being a DBA, I'd only
specify RAID controllers with lots of cache and a battery backup.

For rack-mount systems, I'd choose simple raid controllers, and a
storage controller (invisible to Linux, since it's behind the RAID
controller) that has upwards of 512MB cache and on-line changeable
cache batteries.  (It's the storage controller that is what the
drives plug into.  The DEC/Compaq/HP HSZ80 is my favorite.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"All machines, no matter how complex, are considered to be based
on 6 simple elements: the lever, the pulley, the wheel and axle,
the screw, the wedge and the inclined plane."
Marilyn Vos Savant