Re: overnet, mldonkey, which one??

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:03:22 +0200, Alfredo Valles <alfredo@bioinfo.cu>
wrote:

<...>
> Now I readed a bit about this but still I don't  feel like I can make
> the choice.
>
> 1- Easy of use.
> 2- Security.
> 3- Proxy support. (I live behind a firewall)
> 4- Work well in low bandwith.
> 5- Free (GPL)

Try giFT.

giFT is actually just a daemon that sits in the background and manages
connections to a variety of networks. Currently it can connect to the
OpenFT and Gnutella networks officially, but unofficial plugins have
been produced to connect to FasTrack which can't be made official for
nonfree issues.

The daemon will then listen on a local port to which a client
can communicate. I have both used giFTcurs and giFToxic, preferring the
latter. All of the above are available in the Debian unstable archive,
and I have had no problems related to security utilizing the OpenFT and
Gnutella networks, nor with the daemon itself. The issues would really
only lie with a grossly malformed configuration (a tool should walk you
through it easily) or any issues that would pop up in Gnutella, OpenFT
or FasTrack.

http://gift.sourceforge.net

--
Scott Christopher Linnenbringer		[sl@eskimo.com]