Re: zmodem file transfer w/ minicom over serial connection

on Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:02:01PM -0600, Bruce Sass (bsass@edmc.net) wrote:
> --
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > I'm running minicom over a null-modem serial cable settings: 57600 8N1.
> >
> > File transfer setting is:
> >
> >     zmodem  /usr/bin/sz -vv -be Y    U    N       Y       Y
> >
> > I've played with that a bit, the default is /usr/sbin/sz -vv -b.
> >
> > When initiating a transfer, I do:
> >
> >     $ rz                # on the remote side of the link.
> >
> > Remote side shows:
> >
> >     rz waiting to receive.**B0100000023be50
> >
> >     ^AS                 # in minicom to start the transfer.
> >
> > Select protocol and file to transfer.
> >
> > The zmodem dialog shows:
> >
> >     +-----------[zmodem upload - Press CTRL-C to quit]------------+
> >     |t TIMEOUTB0100000023be50Retry 0: Got TIMEOUTCRetry 0: Got TIM|
> >     |EOUT                                                         |
> >     |CRetry 0: Got TIMEOUT                                        |
> >     |                                                             |
> >     |Transfer incomplete                                          |
> >     |                                                             |
> >     | READY: press any key to continue...                         |
> >     +-------------------------------------------------------------+
> >
> > And back on the remote side I have:
> >
> >     [karsten@reflex:tmp]$ rz -vvv
> >     Retry 0: Got TIMEOUTe.**B0100000023be50
> >     CCCCCCCCC           **B0100000023be50
> >     Transfer incomplete
> >
> > Both sides have the lrzsz package installed.
> >
> > I'm stumped.  This doesn't appear to be a frequently used configuration
> > ;-)
> >

> > I've tried setting the blocksize ("-k") and escape control chars ("-e")
> > on send side, as well as connection baud rates of 9600, 19200, 38400,
> > and 57600.  None of these appears to make a difference.
> >
> > Assistance appreciated.
> >
> > Peace.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I do rz and sz from/to a remote system occasionally...
>
> setup is:
> A zmodem /usr/bin/sz -vv -e Y U N Y Y
> D zmodem /usr/bin/rz -r -U N D N Y Y
> M zmodem download string activates... D

Check on all three.

> (this last bit means that when you start to send, minicom will
> automatically fire up rz)
>
> HDD IRQs are unmasked:
> hdparm -u1 <dev>  # READ the hdparm manpage first!

At which end?  What does this do?

> Get it working at a low speed then work your way up up (if you can, I
> had trouble getting a serial console working reliably at anything
> better than 9600, although the ports speak to a modem at 115200!),
> also make sure minicom and setserial are doing the same thing to the
> ports at both ends.

Hrm..   Given that I can run ascii transfers w/ uuencoded files, I may
stick with that.  Frustrating though.

> Hardware flow control will not work if you have a simple 3-wire null
> modem cable, software flow control should always work.

Tried both.  Nope.

> I recall (years ago) having trouble getting zmodem transfers to work;
> the solution (iirc) was the -U, a touchy baudbase setting, and to not
> play with blocksize (zmodem handles dynamically) and escapes.

I'll mess w/ it some more in the am.

Thanks.

Peace.

    Defeat EU Software Patents!                         http://swpat.ffii.org/