zmodem file transfer w/ minicom over serial connection

I'm still trying to debug my file transfers between two Debian GNU/Linux
systems using zmodem file transfers from within minicom, over a serial
connection.

I'm running minicom over a null-modem serial cable settings: 57600 8N1.

File transfer setting is:

    zmodem  /usr/bin/sz -vv -be Y    U    N       Y       Y

I've played with that a bit, the default is /usr/sbin/sz -vv -b.

When initiating a transfer, I do:

    $ rz                # on the remote side of the link.

Remote side shows:

    rz waiting to receive.**B0100000023be50

    ^AS                 # in minicom to start the transfer.

Select protocol and file to transfer.

The zmodem dialog shows:

    +-----------[zmodem upload - Press CTRL-C to quit]------------+
    |t TIMEOUTB0100000023be50Retry 0: Got TIMEOUTCRetry 0: Got TIM|
    |EOUT                                                         |
    |CRetry 0: Got TIMEOUT                                        |
    |Transfer incomplete                                          |
    | READY: press any key to continue...                         |

And back on the remote side I have:

    [karsten@reflex:tmp]$ rz -vvv
    Retry 0: Got TIMEOUTe.**B0100000023be50
    CCCCCCCCC           **B0100000023be50
    Transfer incomplete

Both sides have the lrzsz package installed.

I'm stumped.  This doesn't appear to be a frequently used configuration
;-)

I've tried setting the blocksize ("-k") and escape control chars ("-e")
on send side, as well as connection baud rates of 9600, 19200, 38400,
and 57600.  None of these appears to make a difference.

Assistance appreciated.

Peace.

    Defeat EU Software Patents!                         http://swpat.ffii.org/