Re: KDE3

Hello

Huw Dixon (<huwdixon@netrox.net>) wrote:

> Is there a moderately easy way to get KDE upgraded to KDE3? I've tried
> pointing sources to the kde.org site, updating and upgrading but that
> gives me a few dozen "held back" apps and no KDE3.

These packages are very probably held back because they need new
packages to be installed. apt-get upgrade does not do this
automatically. Try

apt-get dist-upgrade

to tell apt to also install packages with new dependancies.

After dist-upgrading, also install kdebase as maybe some packages will
be removed instead of being upgraded and you need to reinstall them.

> I tried removing with purge kde* and art* and then doing an install of
> kde but that just gives me a few screens of broken dependancies, etc.

You cannot reinstall kde. kde is a meta package for kde 2.2.2 only, the
source from kde.org does not have a kde package. Installing kde will
attempt to install kde 2, which cannot be installed because apt wants
newer libraries from kde.org. This causes the broken dependancies.

> I'm back to
> the 2.2.2 stock version. I'm still coming slowly up to speed with apt
> but I cant figure out how to get to KDE 3.

If you run into problems after upgrading and making sure all necessary
packages are installed, try to move your ~/.kde folder somewhere else.
Sometimes kde 3 behaves strange with the old configuration files.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen