?dm startup problems

I'm running Debian unstable with the DRI trunk ATI drivers, and gdm just
stopped starting.  I used to use kdm as my display manager, but it
exhibited the problems gdm is now displaying earlier.  When either
display manager attempts to start, I see the normal gray background X
startup and the X mouse cursor, but before the background and login
manager load it appears to crash.  It tries to start several times, but
is never able to.  I can't find any reasons for this in the messages or
XFree86.0.log files.  kdm.log has this listed at the end:

AUDIT: Wed Sep  3 19:02:45 2003: 968 X: client 2 rejected from local
host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server^M
Xlib: Protocol not supported by server
^M
kdm_greet: cannot connect to X server :0

Anyone know why this is happening or what has caused it?

Rob
--
                                    |       L    I  NN N  U U  X X  O
r.rati@attbi.com            2002-03 |       L    I  N NN  U U   X
Aka Khyron the Backstabber          |       LLL  I  N  N  UUU  X X  O