Memory

Hi folks,

I have a machine with 6Gb of memory. I installed the last version of Debian
and linux kernel 2.4.21.
I am trying to run the cap3 (ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version
1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped), but the
following error occurs:
Ran out of memory: -874931512 bytes requested
I monitored and when the software reach 1.9 Gb the error occours.
Then I test another application all_align.pl (perl script text executable),
and when the script reach 3.0 Gb the following error occours:
out of memory

In the first case I think is a software problem but in the second I guess
there is something in Operating System or Kernel configuration. I ran as
root and as common user in both cases.

Could you help me ?
Regards.
Eicke.