Re: [OT] Why does X need so much CPU power?

On Tuesday, September 02, 2003 12:42 PM CET, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> Windows OTOH was designed (and please don't start arguing whether
> "designed" is the right term... we all know what we think about that
> ;-) ) to provide a nice UI on a relatively powerful workstation
> without the whole overhead of a client/server concept which allowed
> to do a lot of nice things easily (transparency with an updated
> background, native 3D acceleration, font management that actually
> works, etc.). To be honest, were it not for the way Microsoft handles
> things, I'd be using it right now. I'd probably keep the servers in
> the basement running Linux, but for the desktop use Win would win.

You see? All those things, a nice, responsive UI, that "font management that
actually works", all those little things keep me with Windows (XP for that
part) for my desktop. I have absolutely no doubt that a Unix/Linux system is
great for server systems that need stability, security and network features
more than X (in general they even have no monitor attached to it...). And
this is why I'm on this list. I want to learn how to successfully and
efficiently manage a Linux server for the public internet.

But, Nicos, if I understand you right, you see all the advantage the Windows
UI gives you, and you'd be using it, if it wasn't by Microsoft or Microsoft
wouldn't behave like they do? That's an interesting point of view, too. For
my part, (I've followed this thread up to here) it's just no decision to
switch to Linux for a desktop computer. I don't want to work customizing my
system that much (Joe Public...) to have it done what I want. Of course, I
will take my IDE and build some helpful little tools, as I did in the past
(and as I have the time for that), but installing Windows - it works. Some
minor optimizations here and there, and I'm happy with it. (Plus do many of
the previously mentioned points like 'hardware compatibility' or 'I want to
share that work with others' apply to me.)

Now please don't hit me for that, maybe I'm not that geek as others here...
;)

--
Yves Goergen
nospam.list@unclassified.de