Re: Internet connection sharing with WinXP: DNS problem

Good evening (or perhaps morning where you are),

* J?rg Johannes <liste_joerg@gmx.de> [030902 16:56]:
> There are only two IP's listed in the details field. My own one
> (Client-IP) and the dial-in server's (Server-IP). No DNS listed :(
>
> But anyhow: I have set some "important" IP adresses to my
> /etc/resolv.conf (my mail servers) and connection to them fails.

Oops. You need to put the IP of a nameserver in this file (man 5
resolver). Just find the IP of a nearby DNS server a put in a line like:

nameserver www.xxx.yyy.zzz

You can use /etc/hosts to locally store host IP information (as you
were trying to do for your mail servers). man 5 hosts. Your /etc/hosts
file probably has the following on the first line

127.0.0.1  debian localhost

This is assuming you did not change the default hostname from "debian".
You can add lines with IP addresses and host names after the above line.

> But I can ping www.debian.org. This is all strange.

The IP must be cached somewhere on your machine.

> I'll wait until I start work at the university and get a "real"
> connection. Thanks to all who helped.

Good luck.

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.6.0-test3-looxt93c2 i686 GNU/Linux