mplex shortens MPEG1 video to under five minutes?

I'm trying to convert a long AVI file to two VCD's.  I have in the past done
this two ways:  with the mencvcd script from mplayer/mencoder, or with
avidemux.  Both worked.

Now, whichever I use, the VCD's produced (as bin/cue sets) are less than
five minutes long, cutting off in mid-video.  The actual length varies from
about 3:30 to 4:45.  Both avidemux and mencvcd split and transcode the video
and audio streams to mpa and mpv files, then use mplex to recombine them
into compliant MPEG format.  I deduce that mplex is what's failing, since
that's where they overlap.  I've checked the mpa/mpv files from mencoder and
they're the correct length and are complete.

Anyone have an idea why mplex would suddenly decide to truncate files?

Debian Testing system, using avidemux and mencoder from Christian Marillat's
archive:

	avidemux:	1:0.9-sarge0.1
	mencoder:	1:0.91-sarge0.1
	mjpegtools:	1:1.6.1.90-sarge0.1