Re: Tips for serial terminal & file transfer?

on Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 07:17:18PM +0300, Shaul Karl (shaulk@actcom.net.il) wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 12:41:24PM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >
> > After this point, you can transfer shar archives (which use uudecode,
> > hence the above step), allowing for ASCII mode transfers.
> >

>   I am missing something. Can't you uuencode every file and transfer it
> in the same way?

I can, but it's a tad cumbersome.

The main problem is having to clear out every other line, as there's a
linefeed inserted on ASCII transfers.

I suppose I could write an awk script to handle this.

Hrm, that was easy:

    cat <<EOF>oddlines
    #!/usr/bin/awk -f
    { if ( NR%2 ) {print} }
    EOF
    chmod +x oddlines

It would also be helpful if I could do the old trick of :

    cat <<EOF>foo
    <file transfer>
    EOF

...but this method performs shell expansions on the content.  Similarly:

    echo '
    <file transfer>
    ' > foo

...runs into problems if the quote character is included in the
transferred content.

> > I'm still looking for a good method for doing file transfers.  I haven't
> > used kermit, x/y/zmodem, etc., for about fifteen years, so I'm not sure
> > what the options are here.
> >
> > I'm also wondering if there is other terminal software other than
> > minicom I can use, preferably with color support.  minicom seems to do
> > only vt100.

>   What about minicom -c on?
>
>     $ minicom -h|grep color
>       -c, --color=on/off     : ANSI style color usage on or off

Cool!  That works ;-)

Peace.

    Defeat EU Software Patents!                         http://swpat.ffii.org/