Re: Jabber and transports

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 01:06:25AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:02:32AM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > No debconf support yet, not sure how I would go about parsing the
> > myriad of possible jabber.xml configs out there.  However, they are
> > more integrated with the main Jabber package.  They put an
> > init-style script in /etc/jabber/jabber.d that is called from the
> > main Jabber package's init script when Jabber is
> > stopped/started/restarted.
> >
> > I'm currently running all of them on my server with no problem.  I'm
> > open to suggestions on how to automate the configuration changes.
>
> Alright, so how do we make it work?  There is no documentation.

Sure there is, each and every transport/service I packaged has a
README.Debian with full instructions on how to make it work.  In the
last week, I've added a support to start and stop the individual
transports when they are installed/upgraded/removed and the ability to
control whether they should be enabled or not on the system.  This too
is documented in the package README.Debian.

The basic steps for all the transports are to install the package, edit
the jabber.xml to add two entries (one for the connection and one for
the service announcement or browse functionality).  If you're using
the packages from the last week, edit the /etc/default file for the
package and enable it (change ENABLED="0" to ENABLED="1") and then
restart jabber.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar