Re: cups install problem

Tom Allison wrote:
Russell Shaw wrote:

Tom Allison wrote:

Well, I tried a purge and reinstall of cups on my server.

This is one of the many problems I'm seeing.

I also ran into a wonderful conflict between hpjis (something like that) and it's foomatic-db-hpjis cousin. They appear to have a circular dependency upon each other and I don't know that they will actually install.

But first things first...

Unpacking libcupsys2 (from .../libcupsys2_1.1.14-5_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libcupsys2_1.1.14-5_i386.deb (--unpack): trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libcupsimage.so.2', which is also in package libcupsimage2

I have both of them installed ok. Did you purge *both* of them
before reinstalling? Are you running stable or testing? (i'm on
testing).

I purged everything I could find under dselect that matched /cups/
I'm running a spread of trees(*), but the installation was all -stable.

I use apt_preferences to select different trees, but default to -stable when I don't identify it in 'apt-get install -t testing'.

If you can tolerate testing, i'd highly recommend installing everything
from there. CUPS might have stopped working previously due to packages
from testing being installed with stable. I'd run fsck before doing
anything else tho (do it when the partitions are read-only).
If you still want to install from stable, then i'd search for package
debris now. "updatedb", then "locate cups". Manually delete any leftovers.
Then reinstall CUPS.