Re: Newbie Hardware/Partitioning

On Sunday 31 August 2003 11:43 pm, Marc Wilson wrote:
> I took its 40 gb drive, and installed Win2k on it.  Gave it 15 gb
> of the drive as NTFS.
> Then I created a 5 gb extended partition, and formatted it FAT32,
> so that the two installs could share data.
> Created a 512 mb swap partition as hda3, and a 20 gb partition as
> hda4 which I put an EXT3 filesystem on.  Installed Woody on hda4.

I think you only created 4 primary partitions.  It doesn't sound
like you created an extended partition holding logical partitions,
which is what W2K would have complained about.  It is a good idea
to create the slew of linux partitions I explained, for various
administrative reasons.

> ... and added the Linux partition to NTLDR with BootPart.
>
> That was it.  Oh, I rearranged NTLDR's menu so that Woody booted
> by default, but that was just a quick edit with Notepad.

I think you will have a difficult time upgrading your kernel in the
future.  I described how to set up LILO to do the dual boot.  I
don't know if NTLDR will be able to handle /vmlinuz and
/vmlinuz.old, but I kind of doubt it.

> No messing with dd, no nothing.

I only used dd to create a backup of NTLDR.  I could have forged
ahead without it, but that isn't prudent.

Good luck,
David Crane