Re: Alsa and Linux kernel 2.6.0-test4

On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 22:22, Nick Hastings wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Kevin Johnson <kjohnson@secureideas.net> [030901 10:33]:
> > Hi-
> >
> > I just decided to switch from RedHat to Debian and so far am very
> > impressed.
>
> Another happy convert!
>
> > I purchased a Dell Dimension 4600 and installed Woody.  I then
> > switched to unstable.  I found Crafterm's site that had the .deb
> > files for the kernel 2.4.21 and installed them so that my network
> > card would work.  On that site he has a file that talks about the
> > audio card and the problems with the SB Live that Dell ships.  So I
> > removed that card and enabled the onboard sound.  He then talks about
> > installing 2.4.22 of the kernel.  I looked and could not find any
> > packages to do this, so I thought if I have to compile a kernel I
> > might as well try out 2.6.0-test4.  The comile seemed to go fine but
> > when I boot into this new kernel I get the following message:
> >
> > 	 Starting ALSA (unknown version): failed - ALSA modules not 	installed
> >
> > Everything else seems to work, my NIC and video and the machine actually
> > seems faster.  But I need sound.  Ok I don't need it but I sure would
> > like it<grin>
>
> Are you able to load other modules?  I was using alsa modules with no
> problems with 2.6.0-test1 and 2.6.0-test3. My current kernel
> (2.6.0-test3) has alsa compiled in (not as modules) and works without
> a hitch.
>
> Nick.

Hi-

I am about to pull the last few hairs from my head......<grin>

A wonderfull person, Andreas, told me I need to download the actuall
Alsa drivers and compile them....I am an idiot<grin>  I downloaded them
and now have entered another round of grief.  They error out saying they
can't find modversions.h  I went and found where that was and made a
symlink from the directory that ALSA was looking into to the directory
that the file was in.  That caused a new set of errors to spew forth.
Mainly things about things not being declared.  I believe that is
because the symlink was the wrong way to go<grin>  I am about to pitch
this machine off the desk.  I feel like a newbie and can't seem to find
any clear directions on the web.  One site recommended copying the ALSA
source in to the kernel source and rebuilding my kernel, but the
directions made no sense and I was concerned since that wasn't mentioned
any where else.  At this point I am begging for someone to say..oh yeah
I had that problem, flip this one switch and everything will work.  Or
for someone to say hey I bought a Dimension 4600 with the onboard sound
and here is a .deb for the kernel..Any kernel<grin>

And yes, all the other modules are fine.

Thanks for the help
Kevin
...balding and being picked on by his wife<grin>