Alsa and Linux kernel 2.6.0-test4

Hi-

I just decided to switch from RedHat to Debian and so far am very
impressed.  I purchased a Dell Dimension 4600 and installed Woody.  I
then switched to unstable.  I found Crafterm's site that had the .deb
files for the kernel 2.4.21 and installed them so that my network card
would work.  On that site he has a file that talks about the audio card
and the problems with the SB Live that Dell ships.  So I removed that
card and enabled the onboard sound.  He then talks about installing
2.4.22 of the kernel.  I looked and could not find any packages to do
this, so I thought if I have to compile a kernel I might as well try out
2.6.0-test4.  The comile seemed to go fine but when I boot into this new
kernel I get the following message:

	 Starting ALSA (unknown version): failed - ALSA modules not 	installed

Everything else seems to work, my NIC and video and the machine actually
seems faster.  But I need sound.  Ok I don't need it but I sure would
like it<grin>

I have searched Google and groups and can't find this message in anyway
that appears to fit my error.  Does anyone have any ideas or pointers to
places where I can get a fix.  I would even go back to a previous kernel
if need be.

Thanks for the help.
Kevin