Re: Newbie Hardware/Partitioning - ideas

hi ya arnt

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

> > have lots of nice fans ... at least 3 chassis fans
> >   2 by the cpu/power pully  and add one or tw more fans in the front
> >   of the (midtwoer) case

miss spellingz galore :-)

> .._silent!_ fans.

fans are usually quiet... it's the air that's noisy, air that wanna pass
thru them tiny, rough edged holes :-)

> > linux can read/write windoze files ( msdos, vfat ) directly
> > 	- do NOT use linux to edit/delete ntfs files on windoze
> >
> > 	- ie.. if you're using vfat, you wont need the 10G of shared
> > 	space

as you saw from the posts ... linux can read/write some default
windoze partitions
	fat --- >>> i wouldn't use  ( limited 8.3 filename format )
	vfat ( aka fat32?? )	( i dont know all the gory details
	ntfs  ... not writeable by linux
	other fmts ??

> > 10GB	/windows	/dev/hda1	- find out how much space you're
> > 					using now and double it??
>
> ..leave it alone, he's gonna _want_ 30GB for linux.  _Eventually_.
> He just needs to experience the why's for himself, as we all do. ;-)

yup ... best teacher is "experience" in moving thingz around
	or why machines stop working all of a sudden

> > 256MB	/		/dev/hda2	- keep small as possible
> > 256MB	/tmp		/dev/hda3	- keep small as possible
> >                    /dev/hda4 	extended partition - not for data
> > 512MB	/var		/dev/hda5	- keep enough for logs
>
> ..ditto for /var/log ,   /var/www is a good place to test and develop
> your web site buyers stuff, but /var/www/* can also be symlinked from
> /home/aoga/work/websites/* ,  myself, I just create new users for

yup .. except i have my stuff as .../httpd/html.user  for example
	and everything is live  in the user's html tree

	( didnt like  "work/websites" :-)

> /dev/hdb5              73G   54G   15G  78% /mnt

humm ... bad idea to use /mnt as a specific parttition's mount point
	- gets confusing for /mnt/floppy or /mnt/cdrom  or /mnt/firewire

> > 512MB	<swap>		/dev/hda7	- add memory if you need more mem
>
> ..depends on what you do, I use 2 times the maximum supportable
> by the main system board, to minimize down time on upgrades.

too much swap being used ... implies a very very slow system ...
	- if 256MB or 512MB of swapp is used ... add more memory
 	( it'd run 10x faster ... with memory instead of swap space )

> > move /var/www to /home/www  so that user data is separate from system
> > /var files
>
> ...and symlink'em...  ;-)

a test :-)  of understanding what one just did :-)

> > move /usr/local to  /home/local  to keep user stuff away from system
> > stuff
>
> ..puts everything in one boat, ok, _not_ how I do things.  ;-)

yes ... that way i can just move one boat /home  to another boat
if one boat is erratically misbehaving

all my systems are configured identically ... ( partition wise )
	- trivial to make any machine become another machine
	( web serbver, email server, fw, dns, backups ... blah .. )

> ..keep an eye out for journal failures with 'cat /proc/mounts \
> |grep " ro ", you in _some_ cases want a prompt reboot and fsck,
> both Debian and Red Hat will merrily keep you unaware of it on
> 'mount -v | grep ro ', for _days_.

good idea !!

> ..in /etc/fstab, some ext3fs'es has "errors=remount-ro" in the
> options column, consider "errors=panic" for important stuff you
> dont wanna lose,say isp traffic logs etc, and toss in "panic=20"
> or some such in your bootloader setup.

yup

> > for various flavors of partition schemes and reasoning
> > 	http://www.Linux-1U.net/Partitions

c ya
alvin