Re: Packages: required vs recommended vs suggested

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 01:11:24PM -0400, Neal Lippman wrote:
> I was wondering if someone could clarify how apt-get handles the various
> categories of related packages.

It doesn't.  The only thing apt-get cares about is dependencies.

> I did in install last pm of a package which "recommends" other packages,
> which it turned out I needed in order to make things work.

Then perhaps they're actually dependencies?  Did you file a bug?

> However, apt-get install <package> did not automagically install the
> recommended packages (it did get required dependencies) and I spent quite
> a while before I figured that out.

Yes, as documented, apt-get doesn't care about Recommends or Suggests.
IMHO, a tool that didn't give you the option of whether to install them,
but automatically went and did it, kind of makes moot the idea of a package
being anything other than a dep.

> How do you cause apt-get to at least ask you about installing
> recommended, or suggested, package dependencies?

You don't.  You use a real package management tool rather than something
that was originally coded as a demonstration of libapt and dependency
resolution.

Personally, I have no problem with dselect, but most other people will
probably point you to aptitude.

--
 Marc Wilson |     I am covered with pure vegetable oil and I am writing
 msw@cox.net |     a best seller!