Re: Alsa and Linux kernel 2.6.0-test4

 --- Kevin Johnson <kjohnson@secureideas.net> escribió:
> Hi-
>
> I just decided to switch from RedHat to Debian and so far am very
> impressed.  I purchased a Dell Dimension 4600 and installed Woody.  I
> then switched to unstable.  I found Crafterm's site that had the .deb
> files for the kernel 2.4.21 and installed them so that my network card
> would work.  On that site he has a file that talks about the audio card
> and the problems with the SB Live that Dell ships.  So I removed that
> card and enabled the onboard sound.  He then talks about installing
> 2.4.22 of the kernel.  I looked and could not find any packages to do
> this, so I thought if I have to compile a kernel I might as well try out
> 2.6.0-test4.  The comile seemed to go fine but when I boot into this new
> kernel I get the following message:
>
> 	 Starting ALSA (unknown version): failed - ALSA modules not 	installed

Do you actually have ALSA support enabled, or are you using the (deprecated)
OSS drivers?  If you have ALSA enabled, do you have it selected as modules
or compiled in to the kernel?  I have found that compiling in ALSA support
does not work very well yet.  I think that this because ALSA has only recently
been integrated in the kernel and every app/util (including alsa-base and
alsa-utils) that deals with ALSA _assumes_ that it is working with modules.
Once I went back and recompiled the kernel with modular ALSA support instead,
everything worked great.

> Everything else seems to work, my NIC and video and the machine actually
> seems faster.  But I need sound.  Ok I don't need it but I sure would
> like it<grin>

I can agree that sound is a necessity nowadays.

> I have searched Google and groups and can't find this message in anyway
> that appears to fit my error.  Does anyone have any ideas or pointers to
> places where I can get a fix.  I would even go back to a previous kernel
> if need be.

2.6.0 is still really new, so help is sketchy.  You may want to try LKML, but
they are all pretty busy, so you may not get the help you need there.  Colin
might be able to shed some more light on that, as I think he lurks on LKML.

> Thanks for the help.
> Kevin

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS