Re: Getting KDE 3.1

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> Hello
>
> ajlewis2@intac.com (<ajlewis2@intac.com>) wrote:
>
>> In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
>>>
>>> There is a KDE 3.1.3 backport available for Woody from KDE.org. Add
>>> this to your sources.list:
>>>
>>> deb ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/latest/Debian woody main
>>>
>>> Then do apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
>>
>> Is there anyway to do this for Sarge as well?
>
> As far as I know there is no backport of KDE 3.1.3 for Sarge. This
> question has been discussed recently on debian-user-german, and I think
> at the moment you either have to wait or get the packages from
> unstable.
>
> best regards
>         Andreas Janssen

I had done this before and thought that maybe Sarge had changed since then
and made it impossible, but last night I kept at it and got it.  Actually I
lost most of kde in the process, but the thing I wanted was quanta version
3.  I think I can get the rest of kde back, because I have these installed:

kdelibs-bin_4%3a3.1.2-0woody1_i386.deb
kdelibs-data_4%3a3.1.2-0woody1_all.deb
kdelibs4_4%3a3.1.2-0woody1_i386.deb
libarts1_1.1.2-0woody1_i386.deb
libqt3-mt_3%3a3.1.2-0woody1_i386.deb
quanta_1%3a3.1.2-0woody1_i386.deb

The trick is around libvorbis0, libarts1, and libqt3-mt.  You have to remove
the newer version libarts1 which gets rid of kde entirely.  Ouch.  And you
also have to remove libvorbis0a.  I think there is also another version of
libqt3-mt that has to go.  Then I installed libvorbis0 from the Woody cd.
After that I used dpkg -i to install libarts1 and libqt3-mt from the above
debs. And then I did the same with the kdelibs and quanta debs above.  Now I
have quanta3 and nothing else of kde.  I'll download the rest of kde when I
get to a dsl line and then try installing them.

I would not recommend this to anyone.  It was a royal pain, because I had to
install and uninstall things about 5 times running apt-get -f install to fix
things etc.  I just really wanted to do it, because I had managed it on
another partition and wanted to duplicate it.  It is very messy.

Anita