network coniguration

Hello all once again. Still picking away at this project. Trying to transform 486 into multi-homed router/firewall.
The 2 nics are identical dlink 220 isa cards.
eth0: io=0x300 irq=10
eth1: io=0x240 irq=3

Through this list and googleing I have come up with the information below.
Can anyone provide me with a direction i should go in setting up these two cards?
Thanks
James

1:
/etc/network/interfaces
auto eth0
 iface eth0 inet dhcp
 name Ethernet LAN card
 auto eth1
 iface eth1 inet static
 address 10.0.0.1
 netmask 255.0.0.0
 network 10.0.0.0
 broadcast 10.255.255.255
 gateway my public address(eth0???):
==================

2:
in:  /etc/modutils/aliases
/sbin/modprobe io=0x300,0x240 ne
alias eth0      ne
alias eth1      ne
options ne      io=0x240,0x280 irq=11,10

 And eth0 and eth1 are activated in /etc/modules.

also, will i need to specify the modules in lilo with an append referance?

Using modconf will only allow me to load the "ne" module for one nic. When I try to load it again,
it just wants to unload it.