Re: Getting KDE 3.1

On Friday 29 August 2003 04:15 am, Andreas Janssen wrote:

> William Bradley (<bradleyw@magma.ca>) wrote:
> > Presently Debian Woody ships with KDE 2.2.2. I would like to upgrade
> > it to KDE 3.1, which I believe is available in the unstable Debian.
> > There must be a way I can get at it with apt-get but at this stage of
> > my experience I don't know how this is done.
>
> There is a KDE 3.1.3 backport available for Woody from KDE.org. Add this
> to your sources.list:
>
> deb ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/latest/Debian woody main
>
> Then do apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
>
> Maybe after upgrading you also have to install some of the kde packages
> manually. When I upgraded, some packages were removed instead of being
> upgraded, konqueror was one of them. apt-get install konqueror solved
> the problem.
>
> Please note that the old meta package kde is not included in the KDE 3
> backports, so trying to install the kde meta package will not work
> because apt will try to install the KDE 2.2.2 kde package.

Hello Andreas,

I did the above and when I updated the etc/apt/souces.list I opened access to
the security updates from Debian.

When I did the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, nearly three hours of
upgading (on my dialup system, I live in the country) went on. After that I
did "apt-get upgrade kde" and some upgrading seemed to go on. After it was
finished I re-booted Debian but as far as I can see it is still KDE 2.2.2. I
did apt-get upgrade konqueror and it is still the 2.2.2 version. Am I missing
something somewhere.

Thank you,

Bill.