Re: Getting KDE 3.1

Hello

William Bradley (<bradleyw@magma.ca>) wrote:

> Presently Debian Woody ships with KDE 2.2.2. I would like to upgrade
> it to KDE 3.1, which I believe is available in the unstable Debian.
> There must be a way I can get at it with apt-get but at this stage of
> my experience I don't know how this is done.

There is a KDE 3.1.3 backport available for Woody from KDE.org. Add this
to your sources.list:

deb ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/latest/Debian woody main

Then do apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.

Maybe after upgrading you also have to install some of the kde packages
manually. When I upgraded, some packages were removed instead of being
upgraded, konqueror was one of them. apt-get install konqueror solved
the problem.

Please note that the old meta package kde is not included in the KDE 3
backports, so trying to install the kde meta package will not work
because apt will try to install the KDE 2.2.2 kde package.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen