Re: diagnosis - was Re: some reality about iptables, please

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 06:36:00PM -0400, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> No from Debian Mozilla.  Here's an example of the messages:
> Aug 28 17:35:55 ganesha kernel: DROPl:IN= OUT=eth0 SRC=192.168.2.30
> DST=205.156.51.200 LEN=44 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=21328 DF
> PROTO=TCP SPT=34131 DPT=80 WINDOW=5840 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
>
> I'm curious that IN is blank.

I'm going to pick up here.. I'll address some of your issues from other
messages without quoting.

I _think_ it's because it's an outoing packet..  From appearances, it
looks like your first (SYN) packet from Mozilla is being blocked.

I have to agree with the others that your best bet is to start from
scratch and use one of the iptables setup tools.  I used firestarter
myself.. but there seems to be quite a bit of agreement that shorewall
is good..  I'm sure either ( or possibly others) would do the job well.
I think the main thing is to first sit down and work out exactly what
your setup is, then go from there using the setup tool of your choice.

I didn't study your rules, but from just scanning over them, there
appears to be some redundancy in them..

RE: your complaint about the way the maintainer didn't write the rules
for us.. I think that it would be impossible to write a general-purpose
ruleset that would be appropriate for everyone.. and if he had attempted
to do so, would probably have caused more problems and bug reports than
he could handle.

RE: where to put the rules..

Many like to put them in the ip-up.d directory, and this is the way
firestarter did mine.. (I have a dial-up using ppp0 interface).. with
the references to the outside made via the ip address.

However, it seemed that doing all this setup might be taking too long to
get me online, so I just changed these ip address references to the
references to ppp0 and put them in the rc?.d directories, so now, this
is all done at bootup rather than each time I dial up.  AFAICT, this
seems to be working well.  With this setup, I'm not online for any brief
instant where I'm open before policy is set to DROP.

Also, for additional documentation, in your
/usr/share/doc/iptables/html/ directory, you have the
packet-filtering-HOWTO and the NAT-HOWTO.  You may have this in your
ruleset already, but with your setup, you will probably have to deal
with NAT.

Again, I really believe that you'd be best served to use a tool.  Once
these rules are in place, you can then go in and correct any problems
you might have, and fine-tune anything you don't feel comfortable with.