Re: some reality about iptables, please

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 23:13, Jacob Anawalt wrote:

> #192.168.1.1 doesn't get any traffic from us
> iptables -A OUTPUT -d 192.168.1.1 -j DROP
>
> That's the 'plumbing' level access to iptables which works for all Linux kernels supporting iptables, irreguardless of distribution. In other words, your rules failing on Debian should fail on RH or Mandrake.

I think I've gotten a lot of the concept now, but this isn't what I
meant.  Initially I was coming from an understanding of "fstab is a
static file of rules the system reads to set up mounts, .gtkrc is a
static file of rules the system reads to set up GUI"...

Later, there is the issue of when is the system in a configuration where
it needs firewall rules?  The Debian manual says runlevels 2-5 are user
runlevels - these are enshrined in the update-rc.d defaults.  K(ill)
links are created by default in runlevels 0, 1, 6.  Ok.

But my network is up in runlevel 1.  (From "telinit 1".  I haven't tried
it from the boot prompt.)

And then there's the question of coordination with who-knows-what other
systems that are or aren't starting, stopping, etc.

I meant a picture of where the rules are kept, how they're initialized,
and what the implications are.  I can find many sites with info about
how to write rules that do X.  I couldn't find a site that told me what
file to put them in.

Now I know there isn't one, and some other things about it all...

> A better post might be:
> What am I doing wrong with iptables rules
>
> Here are my rules. They block all access to the internet, but I cant see
> why.
> #iptables -L
> <output from command>
> #iptables -t <other table(s)> -L
> <output from command(s)>

I've appended my current rules.  Email fetches from my pop3 account ok,
but the browser doesn't connect.

> It's pretty apparent that this text has bothered you. Perhaps you could
> post a bug against /etc/default/ipchains with a  patch adding additional
> helpfull text, like a pointer to netfilter.org and the
> /usr/share/doc/ipchains/README.Debian.gz file and whatever other
> information you think is helpful for newbies.
>
> The solution isn't broken. 'Works for me' :) It just isn't optimal as
> the other posters have pointed out. The ifup-down method sounds very
> sensible. I didn't have an issue with the text, infact I had a good
> laugh reading it when I set up my sysem for /etc/init.d/iptables.

I may.  For now, I am going to keep studying until I do understand.
Then I'll be in a better position to say why I think this isn't good
language (if I still think it isn't when I get there).

Cheers,
Bret

eth0:   192.168.2.30	assigned by DHCP from gateway/router on cable
                        modem.  This is where I browse from.

vmnet1: 192.168.174.1	virtual network device to communicate with
                        VMware Windows 98 session.  Requires no access
                        to the outside.  A bridge to eth0 provides
                        Internet access from VMware.  (I think.)

iptables -t nat -L:

Chain PREROUTING (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain POSTROUTING (policy DROP)
MASQUERADE  all  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

iptables -L:

Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  ganesha              anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.174.1        anywhere
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             255.255.255.255
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             192.168.174.255
DROPl      all  --  anywhere            !192.168.2.30
DROPl      all  -- !192.168.174.0/24     anywhere
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpts:0:tcpmux
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:daytime
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:linuxconf
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:sunrpc
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpts:netbios-ns:netbios-ssn
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpts:161:162
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:445
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:1214
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:1999
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:2049
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:3049
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:4329
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:6346
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:3128
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:8000
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:www
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:8
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:webcache
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:12345
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:65535
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:linuxconf
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpts:exec:printer
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:socks
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpts:x11:6009
DROPl      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:6112
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpts:0:1
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:daytime
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:98
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:sunrpc
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpts:netbios-ns:netbios-ssn
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpts:snmp:snmp-trap
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:445
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:1214
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:1999
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:2049
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:3049
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:4329
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:6346
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:3128
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:8000
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:www
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:8
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:webcache
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:12345
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:65535
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpts:snmp:snmp-trap
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:route
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:ntp
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpts:talk:ntalk
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:1427
DROPl      udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:9000
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:ssh flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:auth flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             255.255.255.255
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             192.168.174.255
DROPl      all  -- !192.168.174.0/24     anywhere
DROPl      icmp --  anywhere             anywhere           icmp !echo-request
[...]
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:domain flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:ssh flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:www flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:https flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:ftp flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:ftp-data flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:smtp flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:pop3 flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:pop3s flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:imap3 flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:imaps flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:11371 flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           tcp dpt:time flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     udp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           udp dpt:domain state NEW
ACCEPT     udp  --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           udp dpt:time state NEW
ACCEPT     icmp --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           icmp echo-request state NEW
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             255.255.255.255
DROPl      all  --  anywhere             192.168.174.255
DROPl      all  --  anywhere            !192.168.174.0/24
DROPl      all  -- !192.168.2.0/24       anywhere
[...]
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:domain flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:ssh flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:www flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:https flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:ftp flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:ftp-data flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:smtp flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:pop3 flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:pop3s flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:imap3 flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:imaps flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:11371 flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           tcp dpt:time flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
ACCEPT     udp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           udp dpt:domain state NEW
ACCEPT     udp  --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           udp dpt:time state NEW
ACCEPT     icmp --  192.168.2.30         anywhere           icmp echo-request state NEW
ACCEPT     icmp --  192.168.174.0/24     anywhere           icmp echo-request state NEW
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
REJECTl    all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain DROPl (168 references)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere           LOG level warning prefix `DROPl:'
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain REJECTl (1 references)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere           LOG level warning prefix `REJECTl:'
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           reject-with icmp-port-unreachable