Re: VIA CPU's - cooling with ICE - shuttle

Alvin Oga wrote:

hi ya jacob

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Jacob Anawalt wrote:

Just an aside. I realize the VIA chip's virtue is in it's power consumption thus low heat but if you're into the high-heat chips for some fpu intensive work like the 1.2Ghz listed above, have you seen Shuttle's I.C.E. (heatpipe) cooling?

http://us.shuttle.com/specs_access.asp?pro_id=269

I have a Shuttle XPC with an Athlon 1800+. It is is cooled by their heatpipe system. A big block sits ontop of the CPU with some metal tubes going up to a mini-radiator assembly with a variable speed fan.

we have 13 shuttle's w/ P4-2.8 ... and those puppies are super hot
	- the case itself is hot too where the exhaust is supposedly
	comeing out

leave the cover off the shuttle and the cpu exhaust and case is nice cool
	-- ie ... air can circulate  around the cpu and exhaust fans

the radiator is a poorly designed cooling system and due to size, there is no way to add additional fans to cool the cpu

and i'm recommending all systems get a seperate 40x40x20mm mounted
sideways to cool the 1GB memory chips ( runs too too hot )
	- random machines crashing ... at random points ..

and if there's a choice... to avoid buying any shuttles w/ 2.8 or faster
until that cooling is solved without use tweeking the cooling methodology

while the other 12-30 shuttles w/ p4-2.4 works fine .. and no hot
cpu exhaust air out its back

- the bigger the metal ... the hotter it will become and the harder
it will be for the itty-bitty fan to cool the block of metal and since it has no fins ... other than silly 0.1" dia heat pipes,
 there is very little thermal conduction/thermal conductivity
	-- a simple finned block on the cpu with the heatpipes
	would work an order of magnitude better ..

-- wish i had a big gian lathe/mill to cut that block of heatsink apart but than again its not my PCs :-)

c ya
alvin

Thanks for the scoop.

So it sounds like their design works on the heat output of up to a P4-2.4Ghz processor, and the case design has issues with the airflow to cool the larger/faster memory banks. Hopefully it's ability covers the range of whatever the fastest Athlon 266fsb processor was. I may want to upgrade the cpu someday.

I don't know if I'm convinced of your final statement about the heatpipes vs the finned block working an order of magnitude better. One of my friends has the same CPU, a jet engine fan and a huge copper heatsink, runs with the side off his case, and about 10 degrees C hotter than mine. I've read other people get the heat range I do with aircooled systems.

Maybe it is better, but the heatpipes for my XPC seem to be moving enough heat for my 1800+. I guess if Shuttle drops the design or goes with larger or more tubes, they will be admitting that the current design doesn't work with the current CPUs, controllers and memory banks going into the small boxes.

Jacob