Re: VIA CPU's - cooling with ICE

Pigeon wrote:

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 06:28:03PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
Having said that, I have a friend whose 1.2GHz system with 2 hard
drives all assembled properly by the shop had case temperatures almost
too hot to touch; since he took the side off and put the hard drives
most pc shops just slapp it together ... with no due care for noise
and airflow ... or interfernce with radio/tv .. unless its like a sealed box from dell/hp/compact/ etc that voids manufacturer warranty
when opened

Well, yeah... you seem to get results dependent on which particular
items are on that shop's standard list of parts. The friend concerned
is not one to sell duff gear to...

use a finger and smoke tests near any hot objects... move the air around

	- use saran wrap to see inside the case ( see the smoke/air flow )
	when the cover is off but you can see the air flow as is the cover
	was on

Oh, *that's* what perspex-sided cases with CCFLs inside are for... :-)

Just an aside. I realize the VIA chip's virtue is in it's power consumption thus low heat but if you're into the high-heat chips for some fpu intensive work like the 1.2Ghz listed above, have you seen Shuttle's I.C.E. (heatpipe) cooling?

http://us.shuttle.com/specs_access.asp?pro_id=269

I have a Shuttle XPC with an Athlon 1800+. It is is cooled by their heatpipe system. A big block sits ontop of the CPU with some metal tubes going up to a mini-radiator assembly with a variable speed fan.

Before I added the Rage 7500 to the system hours of Neverwinter Nights wouldn't get it to 45C. I could put my hand on the CPU block and it just felt warm. Now it sits around 48C while running NWN. I have bios set to speed up the fan at 55C, and it's never happened. The only time I hear it run full speed is for a second when it first boots.

I've been impressed with it's ability to maintain a cool and stable temperature without setting up some elaborate water cooling system. Sides on or off, unless I was to put an IDE cable in the back of the box across the fan, it seems to have sufficient airflow. (And their IDE cable that goes near the back of the case for the DVD/CD-RW combo drive was factory split into seperate peices to form a square cable.)

I've never thought about how it would be to adapt the I.C.E. setup to another case - this came with a case, MB and power supply, but if I think it would be 'cool' (pun intended) if this would catch on for some other case and main board manufactures.

Jacob