Re: FW: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 11:54, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 11:08:13AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > And what I've seen of the larger stuff in Java, it's horrably slow and
> > > unreliable.  So if it's too elephantine for little stuff and two slow
> > > and warped for the big stuff, just what the heck is Java good for again?
> >
> > You can make bad designs and write bad code in any language.
>
> Right, but a good language makes it somewhat counterintuitive or
> difficult to code without at least a passable design.  I've seen a lot
> of plain crap out of java developers that makes Microsoft's reliabilty
> record shine.  Granted, they can't test on every environment, but
> that's one reason why I think java is fundamentally flawed.
> Meanwhile, I've seen Linux kernels stay up over a year and it's
> written mostly in C.

I've seen great C and *really* bad C.  I've seen awesome COBOL, and
really, completely blecherous COBOL code.

That blecherous COBOL coding style was taught in University by
those who had caught the "GOTO is Evil" disease, and thus had to
make it jump through hoops to do simple things.  The great COBOL
was written by people who knew that "GOTO is your friend, and friends
should not be abused".

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I tried
to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage the plane."
RICHARD REID, tried to blow up American Airlines Flight 63