Re: FW: OT: Why is C so popular?

Hi!

On Thu Aug 28, 2003 at 03:14:25PM +0300, Alphonse Ogulla wrote:
> On Thursday 28 August 2003 11:16, you wrote:

you == Thomas Krennwallner <djmaecki@ull.at>
and I wrote it at Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:02:44 +0200

What's up with your MUA?

> > There is no such language which performs in all situations well. C is
> > fast, but you have to code really careful and double-check your source.
> > Erlang was designed for telephony tasks (message passing, ...). Prolog
> > is superior in expert systems. Perl is real good for quick string hacks.
> > Python scales better than Perl for larger projects and is good for rapid
> > prototyping. C++ scales well in large-scale software designs which needs
> > to be fast...
> C, Erlang, Prolog, Perl, Python and C++ are all refered to in the above
> paragraph. Java is conspicuouly not mentioned. I construe that to mean Java
> is so much lacking in useful qualities to serve any practical purpose.

No. There are too many languages to mention here. Read the last 3 dots in
my paragraph as TBC ;-)

Java is good for Web Apps, multiplatform GUI, ...
INSERT YOUR FAVOURITE LANGUAGE HERE is good for ...

And don't forget:

But that all doesn't matter. Every language has its pros and cons and
trying to find THE language will end in esotheric discussions.

For me its clear: use the language you think is good for completing a
given task. I know you cannot always make this decision but if you have
the chance, choose carefully ;-)

So long
Thomas

--
 .''`.  Obviously we do not want to leave zombies around. - W. R. Stevens
: :'  : Thomas Krennwallner <djmaecki at ull dot at>