Re: modules of different kernels (same version)

 --- Robert Epprecht <epprecht@solnet.ch> escribió: > I have read different
documents about kernel compiling,
> but something is still not clear to me:
>
> If I compile different kernels (of the same version) most documents
> say to rename the /lib/modules/x.x.x/ directory before doing the
> 'make modules_install' step.
>
> How can I boot the system after that with an older version?
>
> Could somebody please give a pointer to a document describing how
> to do that?
>
> Thank you, Robert Epprecht.

Robert,

Save yourself some trouble and read this fine HOWTO on compiling kernels
the Debian way.

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

By using kernel-package, you can do it all in a few steps and also easily
differentiate your kernel versions.  I always do something like this:

cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.xx/
make menuconfig
make-kpkg clean
fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=yyyymmdd --append-to-version=-z
cd ..
sudo dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.xx-z_yyyymmdd_i386.deb

It is very simple.

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es