Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:46:43PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:10:33 +0200
> Anders Arnholm <anders@arnholm.nu> wrote:
> > One of the main reasons is that Python leaves a loot of the resolving to
> > runtime, that means that the code actually has to be run before you can
> > see tha actuall typo found at compile time in languanges as C.
>
>     This is offset by the fact that the code-compile-run cycle is reduced to
> code-run.  Furthermore a lot of prototyping of code can be done interactively.
> When I run into a situation where I'm not sure exactly how I want to do
> something I open another window, fire up Python, import the appropriate
> libraries and twiddle with the code until I get a form that works.  Then I
> take that and put it back into the main code.

The difference in work cycle isn't that big, in Python I usally do
"./verifyProgram" and in c mostly "make test". If I need to test
something in C usally just fire up a new file and type in the needed
code and run, or use my nice c alias that takes c code from stdin and
runs the resulting binary. (And no I have never liked typing in code
interactivly, I store everything in a file. But thats is an area of
personaly liking.)

/ Balp
--
      o_   Anders Arnholm,               HiQ - Consultant
 o/  /\    anders@arnholm.nu             Phone  : +46-703-160969