Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 04:06, Alfredo Valles wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 August 2003 3:59 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > I think we're stuck with C and C++, so why not try to use them as well
> > > as possible, and choose the one you really need depending on what you
> > > want to do...
> >
> > Python!!!!!!!!!!  Object oriented, and methods that need speed are
> > wrapped around C.
>

> And very very slow too, like any other script language.
>

> I like python, there are several techniques to accelerate python (like weave
> and psyco) but for a good speed C is the best.

Speed is over-rated.

Lets take my MUA, Evolution, for example.  It's not processor
intensive.  Why couldn't it be written in Python?

So many potential bugs related to pointers and null-terminated
strings would be eliminated.  The SLOC count would be lowered, and
that means a lower bug count and quicker development.  (Many studies
have proved that bug count and speed are soley related to SLOC, no
matter what language is used.)

For the necessary GUI stuff, use the existing wrappers python-gtk2
and python-gnome2.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"I have created a government of whirled peas..."
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002, CNN, Larry King Live