Re: [DEB-USER] Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 06:07:35AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 22:57, bob parker wrote:

> [snip]
> > > One thing I learned a *long* time ago is that even an 80286 is faster
> > > than people typing, reading the screen, moving the mouse, getting a
> > > cup of coffee, etc.
> >
> > If you are using some graphical interface it just isn't faster at all. Dos
> > based programs were though, we had to get into Pentiums before Windows
> > proggies were up to what we had on the 286.
>
> So I *am* a Luddite after all: a good text interface is just as
> good as any GUI interface, and a hell of a lot faster.
>
> I had pull-down menus, dialog boxes, etc in CP/M, when using
> TurboPascal.

No kidding! I could completely do without X and GUI for anything but
programs that have to deal with graphics. A text-based (curses)
interface is sooo much faster for data entry, etc. And you can
definitely make them look decent.

Unfortunately, it's damn hard to find curses programs and toolkits these
days. They exist, but hardly anyone codes that way now. It's all GUI.

And while we're off topic, why does the console emulate VT100 and xterms
emulate VT102? And can anything be done about it?

Paul