Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 22:57, bob parker wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 01:55, Ron Johnson wrote:

[snip]
> > One thing I learned a *long* time ago is that even an 80286 is faster
> > than people typing, reading the screen, moving the mouse, getting a
> > cup of coffee, etc.
>
> If you are using some graphical interface it just isn't faster at all. Dos
> based programs were though, we had to get into Pentiums before Windows
> proggies were up to what we had on the 286.

So I *am* a Luddite after all: a good text interface is just as
good as any GUI interface, and a hell of a lot faster.

I had pull-down menus, dialog boxes, etc in CP/M, when using
TurboPascal.

In fact, if there was a text-based MUA that has drop-down menus,
etc, I'd seriously think about dropping Evolution...

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
YODA: No... no... no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
LUKE: But how will I know why Python is better than Perl?
YODA: You will know. When your code you try to read six months
from now.