Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Thursday 28 Aug 2003 20:16, Ron Johnson wrote:
> The SDLC and corporate politics are independent.  Academics should
> take corporate politics into consideration when coming up with these
> theories.

Why? The SDLC (as defined in academia) is nothing to do with corporate
software development, it is about applying common engineering practises to
_any_ software development, commercial or otherwise. Academia is not supposed
to be about providing for coporations (although often it actually is
nowadays), it is about generating new and interesting (obviously not to
everyone) knowledge and ideas regardless of whether they have the potential
for future practical application. If they do, thats a bug bonus, if they
don't they will often at least inspire some other person to follow an
interesting an idea and generate some more knowledge.  Look at how much pure
research goes on today in many branches of science (physics and maths are
good examples of this), things like research super gravity and such don't
help me grow better food to feed the family, or build a nicer house, or make
my day _easier_ but thats not the point.

phew, drinking till the wee hours seems like a great to activate my rant mode.
Ill have to find the switch that turns that off ;)

Tom

--
 ^__^               Tom Badran
 (oo)\______        Imperial College