Re: LVM installation

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 06:30:13AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> Jørgen Hermanrud Fjeld wrote:
> >Appending "devfs=mount" as a kernel boot parameter will mount devfs from
> >the
> >start, then you don't have to wait for devfsd to do the mounting.
> >
> >Sincerely
> >Jørgen
> >

> That's what I was missing.  What will this do to my LVM partitions if my
> fstab still uses /dev/vg1/ and not the devfs system? Can I boot and edit
> the tables?

I don't know, but i think it will work, since devfs tries to make backwards
compatible symlinks to the new device names. I don't know if it needs devfsd
to handle the creation of those symlinks.
But why don't you just try it out, by appending it to lilo at boot time.
That is, not alter /etc/lilo.conf, but rather press some key when lilo boot
(see "zless /usr/share/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz" for details)
I believe I press shift or caps-lock, and then write "Linux devfs=mount",
appending devfs=mount to this boot.

Sincerely
Jørgen